Wednesday, June 22, 2011

"The Hangover: Part 2"

Yes, I'm aware that it's taken me a while to get to reviewing this movie.

But that's probably because I'm not that interested. So when I find myself at a small town with a one-show theater... well... you get this, since it's playing there.

So let's get to today's movie.

The Hangover: Part 2

Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms), and Allen (Zach Galifianakis) are back as three guys who wake up in a hotel room in Bangkok two days before Stu's wedding having no idea what the hell just happened to them. Thus, they go around Bangkok trying to find the brother of Stu's wife-to-be while piecing together just what happened.

And... it goes on from there.

I'll be frank. I really didn't find this movie to be that funny. One of the big reasons I feel this way? Almost the whole movie feels like it's treading the exact same ground as the first Hangover. A lot of the gags are the same, but... different. But not that different. And somehow, they're just not as funny the second time around, especially with some of the things they try to do to make it "different".

So as a result, I found myself laughing a lot less than I did with the first Hangover--and let's be honest, I wasn't laughing as much as the rest of America was during the first pass either. (Not that I didn't think it was funny, but I did find it slightly overrated.) The whole thing thus becomes a little less interesting to watch after that: the characters just aren't as interesting the second time around, especially since we know where all this is going to wind up eventually.

So... yeah. The main problem with The Hangover Part 2 is that it's too similar to its predecessor. It follows every gag exactly, and the end result is that it's just not as funny as it was before. And that drags the rest of the movie down in quality.

2/4

It has its moments, but overall you might be left disappointed.

This is Herr Wozzeck Reviews. I'll see you guys next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment