Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The End of the Year Bonanza: Top 5 Least Favorite Movies

Hello, all, and welcome to the beginning of the end of the year streak of HWR. I figured you guys would get a series of countdowns this time, so I thought I'd start...

...with the movies I really, really didn't like this year. Let's face it. This year was a pretty good year for movies, I think, but there were some movies that were only all right to downright embarrasing. So I give you today's countdown...

The Top 5 Movies I Disliked Most

5: Alice in Wonderland

Yeah, it's a little underwhelming to start with one of the most hyped movies of the year, I think. But you know what? Tim Burton's movie didn't live up to any of the hype. Poor Mia Wasikovska was done complete disservice by its script, I didn't feel that the plot led up to anything, and it was very disappointing. Yes, it looked nice, but I didn't exactly like it all that much. Nevertheless, it's pretty low on this list because I did actually feel some excitement from it. But it was a very disappointing movie, and I expected much more from the man who gave us a rather good film adaptation of Sweeney Todd.

4: Clash of the Titans

This is on this list for the same reason that Alice in Wonderland is on this list: it was very underwhelming. Which is a shame, as I'm a rather quiet fan of the original movie. But here, I didn't feel any reverence to the original movie, and I didn't feel like there was much of a point to the whole enterprise. I never mentioned this, but rather boring performances from most of the cast doesn't exactly help on that front. It all looks nice, but I didn't feel invested enough in anything about what was going on.

3: The Book of Eli

I've mentioned this movie more than once, even becoming the subject of a musing for when I took a look at My Soul to Take. I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: the movie's twist is absolutely terrible. I feel it requires too much suspension of disbelief and shatters the realism found within the universe around Eli-- and that's not counting the rather large plot hole that appears. Again, this is pretty low on the list, because everything else is good about it. But the twist... Never have I been so insulted by a plot twist in my life.

2: A Nightmare on Elm Street

I always thought going into this movie that it would be a pointless remake. And on that count, I was completely right. The original movie is one of the best horror movies of all time, in my opinion. The remake? Pff. The only remotely good thing about it is Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Kreuger. Everything else? There's very little tension at all, characters do gapingly stupid things, all the deaths are the same, and it wasn't helped by very spotty acting from everyone else.

1: Skyline

Yes, Skyline is so bad, I consider it worse than New Moon. And that, my friends, is a god-damn accomplishment.

I couldn't find anything good about Skyline: it has just about the most terrible script of the year. And that means that all of the characters are unlikeable, undeveloped idiots, hosts some of the hokiest dialogue of the year, and it hosts an ending that has a mood whiplash so enraging that it almost beats out Book of Eli for worst ending of the year. Almost. It has good special effects, but that can't hold the movie together when some of the CGI is conspicuous as hell in some shots. I regret ever seeing this movie, and I wish I could have my 11 dollars back.

********

So these are my top 5 least favorite movies of the year.

The fact that almost every other movie I've seen this year has two and a half stars and higher is a good sign, I think.

Okay... that gets most of the negative stuff. I'll probably return to the stuff I didn't like before I finish this countdown series, but for now, I have reason to celebrate.

So this is Herr Wozzeck Reviews, and I'll see you guys next time with a countdown of my favorite performances by an actor of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment